10.10.2020

Charlie is Walking

 Scott has finally entered his fourth and final year of medical school. During July and August he had his sub internship in Urology at Tulane. He loved it but worked long days. Sometimes he didn't see Charlie for a few days straight because he would leave so early and come home so late! After two weeks of this, Charlie and I decided to go to Utah so I could have some company and extra help while Scott could be more focused on his work. 

These pictures were taken during our first Utah trip in the Spring, but I love them! Carlie did an amazing job and I feel like I will cherish them forever. They are my first professional "mommy" pictures. 














While we are in New Orleans I take Charlie to the Audubon Zoo and Aquarium often and he loves it. They are also the perfect places to help Charlie practice using his walker. At first, he hated the walker and would lean back in it and lift his legs up and cry. We had to push him forward for him to take a step. He took his first independent step with the walker on June 19, 2020. He had the pelvic hip glider attachment and we had to clip him in. He took about five steps before collapsing and we motivated him with marshmallows to move forward. I videoed it and teared up a bit while he moved forward. Last year I didn't know if Charlie would ever walk, and I certainly didn't expect him to be learning to use his walker so soon. It was a beautiful moment.

Since then, Charlie has been getting better and better with his walker! He is basically a master with it now. We took off the pelvic hip glider and unlocked the front wheels so he can turn. In his last three months of walking he has grown 4cm and gone from 3% in height to 15%. The weight bearing is helping him grow! For some reason he loves off-roading and always wants to go up and down curbs (with help) and on gravel. He also always wants to walk into the street... We take him to the grocery store and the mall and let him walk around, but of course, he always tries to go to the places he isn't allowed (like behind the deli counter).

Charlie also loves slides and parks. He still needs a bit of help getting around but he is a daredevil. Last week, he tried to go down a huge slide on his knees. It freaked me and Scott out because he almost dived off the slide, but we caught him. He also loves to experiment with standing and often pulls up on things and then lets go. Usually he collapses within a second or two, but he is getting better. Yesterday he stood up in his high chair, leaning up against the back for support, but fell forward and slammed his nose into the table. He got his first bloody nose and it was so sad. 










We have noticed other kids love Charlie's walker and think it's the coolest toy. Rosie and Lila and Tommy all tried it out. Rosie loved walking around in it at Bailey's wedding reception. While in Utah we took a trip to St. George with Scott's family and Henry pushed Charlie out of the walker and took the walker from him. It was kind of sad but also funny. 




Scott was able to come for the last two weeks we were in Utah and attend Alex and Kelly's wedding with me. They were married in the Provo City Center Temple and the whole day was beautiful! Alex invited me to come watch/help with her bridal photos which I loved. I also loved her Bachelorette party. 




I left Charlie with the Brimley's for a week and went to Powell with my family while in Utah. It was weird to fly solo for the first time in years! I missed Charlie a lot by the end, but loved reconnecting with my siblings and going wake-surfing. I also loved floating through a slot canyon.

My Uncle Kent and his boys, Decker and Finn, came too. Both my mom and Kent read my manuscript while at Powell which was a lot of fun hearing their feedback. From about February - September I have been writing a book. I've spent thousands of hours on it and finished a manuscript. I've even sent it out to 17 different literary agents. The agent who represented Piper Kerman, the author of Orange is the New Black, requested the full manuscript and is currently reading it! I found out on my birthday about the request and it was the best gift of all. I've anxious to hear what they think of it.







Bailey's reception was in July even though her wedding was in March because of COVID-19 regulations. Here are some pictures from the reception.





Charlie had his first professional haircut at Cookie Cutters and he looks so grown up! He is a full blown toddler now and his language is developing so quickly. Scott and I counted he knows over 100 words now. His new thing this week is to say "Help me Mama" and it sounds so desperate and cute. He also loves Elmo and sings along with the songs. He is very interested in the alphabet and knows about half of his letters. He likes an ABC game on my phone that he calls "CBs" and points to all the letters he know on signs when we go out.

While we were in Utah we got together with Millie at an All-Abilities park. It was so refreshing and fun to talk to Amanda and watch our kids play together. I'd never been to an all-abilities park and I loved that Charlie could talk his walker onto the ramps and be more independent.







Early September we came back to New Orleans, but not for long! We are heading to Utah again for the holidays and for Scott's virtual interview season. It's been a strange year spending so much time in Utah, but it's been lovely to have family help us and to spend time with them after so long of feeling isolated and alone during Charlie's cancer treatments. 

This last week Scott had time off so we drove to Destin, FL and spent two days at the beach. Charlie loved the waves hitting him and loved playing in the sand. We booked the cheapest hotel we could find and it was probably a mistake because the hotel was terrible... we had an ant infestation and they closed down the fitness center because of COVID. There were black spots on the ceiling and the hair dryer was cracked open. For their "breakfast" they just had a bowl of packaged danishes and their hot tub heater was broken... Hopefully someday we have a bit more money to spend on a quality place to stay.




My sweet boy is getting to big! I can't believe he is almost two. These next six weeks Scott is hoping to get in between 10-15 interviews, then he will rank the schools he interviews at and on February 1st, we hope he matches! He is nervous about not matching, but I feel confident he will. This year has felt very transitionary and I'm looking forward to finding out where we will be living next year. 

No comments: